Donations

All donations are greatly appreciated. They all go to the upkeep of PFD and PFD Delights

They can be set as a monthly donation or as you can give.

Click the button to be taken to Paypal.

Enter any size donation because they are all appreciated and welcome.

Thank you for your donation.

Author Topic: Agent 0013's Backdrop OBJ  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Agent0013

• RoomKeeper
Agent 0013's Backdrop OBJ
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:44:34 AM »
I was thinking about how using just an image as an environment backdrop works in DAZ Studio. I'm not sure, but I suspect it works in a similar fashion in Poser. When you load a backdrop image straight from your hard drive, if the aspect ratio is set to something different from the image aspect ratio, it will be stretched one way or the other! So how could I do backdrops that do not get affected by the render aspect ratio settings?

My first idea was to create a Primitive Plane, and load the image onto it, but you would have to know the aspect ratio of the image and make the Plane match it in the Parameters panel. This method worked well as long as I was able make sure the Plane matched the image in width and length. Even so, it created a good amount of extra work to do.

So then I opened Wings3D and created a cube with the following dimensions:
16 X 9 X 0.5 Wings Units.

Why did I decide to do this? Because I could not export a flat single polygon square or rectangular model. Also the model only has 6 polygons with two that are useful as image bearing surfaces. With the UV mapped template I can do two backdrop images on one object, with the thin sides, top, and bottom given colors only. So when the object is imported into DAZ Studio or Poser, (and I fully expect this will work in other staging apps as well) you can go to the Surfaces panel in DAZ Studio or the Material Room in Poser and apply one of the texture sets to the model. Voila! You have two backdrops in one loaded into your scene. Just rotate it until its image is facing your view of it full on. Some adjustment of overall size and distance might be needed, but it is much simpler than the other method I was using.

Why is this beneficial to an image?

Let's say we are setting up a scene and we want environmental specularity and reflectivity effects in the completed render. Unfortunately, these effects will not take any image information from a purely image type backdrop. In other words, unless your backdrop image is on the surface of an object, specular and reflection effects will not "see" it. Since using an object made to become the backdrop is actually another object in your scene, whatever texture, material, or image that is on the object will be "seen" by the Specular and Reflection channels of the software.

The cool thing is that you can have a backdrop OBJ in front of the view camera and behind it. If you have say the DAZ Chrome Shader on a main model in your scene between the two backdrop OBJs, you will see reflection effects of whatever image is facing into the center of the scene on those backdrop OBJs when the render is completed. If you are doing a space type scene you can rotate the BD_OBJ_Worlds-1 backdrop around its Z axis to orient it the way you want.

Enjoy & Stay Awesome
Agent 0013.